Friday, 4 November 2011

Learning about the 5th of November~ the Gun Powder Plot

"Remember, Remember the 5th of November
The Gun powder, Treason and Plot
I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot."

About 2 and a half years ago, we went to the Houses of Parliament and got a private tour.  Anyone can do this by the way, just ask your MP.  It was one of the most incredible experiences, and I got to enjoy it with my lifelong friends from the States. 

Here we are in the oldest part of Parliament.  This would be the original house of Parliament that Guy Fawkes was planning to blow up.

DSC02092CIMG1438

CIMG1449

 

The only section you can take pictures is in the original building above.  One of the most interesting aspects of the tour was in a glass box filled with original documents.  image

In one of the glass cases were two confession letters written by Guy Fawkes.  One before and one after he was tortured.  Needless to say his handwriting looked a little shaky. 

When Meghan is a little older, I will arrange another tour.  I can not recommend this enough.  The inside of Parliament is amazing and steeped in so much history.


image

Guy Fawkes

Only briefly covering this part of history in the States, I was fascinated in learning about the history of the macabre celebrations. 

Since Meghan has just turned 7, here are the plans I am using to teach her the history of the Gunpowder Plot

KS1 planning lessons

I also recommend the following videos:

The Plot
Arnhem Wharf Primary School presents 'The Story of Guy Fawkes, 1605'

Ok I can’t have any history lessons without a video from “Horrible Histories” ~  I can’t recommend the series “Horrible Histories” enough.  It should be mandatory viewing for all history lessons.  Shame the humour is sometimes wasted on the kiddies!

Here is also a great little test for your child  click HERE

Guy Fawkes’ Crafts

Activity Village

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Magic Classroom~ Thank you for your comment